Even though I inked the cover traditionally, I didn't want to do the coloring the same way. This was mainly because all I had in my coloring arsenal was oil paints. I don't think those oils would go well on Bristol without having some kind of gesso on it, and if I were to have done that after the inks, I would have messed up my drawing. And I was not drawing all that again.
I decided to color it digitally. After all, I had been getting lessons at school on how to paint with the software so why the hell not? Now, to scan this 11x17 paper. But hey, my scanner glass only covered an 8x11" paper so I had to scan this thing in pieces and then put it together in Photoshop. The thing about scanning anything that big in pieces is that you get this crazy shadow on the side that doesn't sit directly on the glass. After putting the two scans together on the computer I had to clone some of the colors and rub some stuff out digitally so that it looked like I scanned it all at once. This took me about a day to do so. Not a full day, I am exaggerating there, but about 6 hours to make sure that everything was looking just fine. Since I was such a perfectionist, I had to get the darn thing up to par with what I envisioned.
Get in the zone
I started coloring and I was stuck with what color palette to use. I already knew what the color of the characters was going to be, so I started there. The technique I used was more of a painter technique, like if I was using oils. This is what I was learning in school at the time, how to paint with Photoshop. So, there were many soft edge brush strokes with different opacities to get the right effect and shadows. Needless to say, that took longer than I expected. I think I had it finished in about a month's time. I worked on it in chunks; an hour here, and an hour there. Whenever I would get in the zone, I would spend more time on it, and that zone would probably last about 4 hours if not more. Those were the good old days. Nowadays I'm lucky if my "zone" time lasts 30 minutes.
Fixing the issues
I had a different color background at to some point and changed it to what you see now only cause some cool artist at a comic con gave me some pointers. I did make an alteration to "Eve" the girl on the bottom right. I didn't like her face in the inks so I fixed it.
Until next time, draw what you want.
Before I call it a day, or a post, I want to thank ComixCentral for featuring The Show comic as Comic of the Week. Head on over to their sites if you guys are interested in checking out mine and other indie titles.